It takes a considerable amount of marketing prowess to succeed in a competitive industry. This is particularly true for the addiction treatment industry.
If you’re thinking of entering this space, after creating your treatment programs and staffing your facility, you’ll want to be able to reach as many potential patients as possible and this can be done with good marketing.
When it comes to marketing, there are two ideas that you should consider:
- Since addiction is more prevalent in some areas than others, it may be wise to establish your facility in an area where the need is greater and market locally.
- Because some patients would prefer to travel elsewhere for their treatment, to physically remove themselves from places they associate with their addiction, online marketing for your rehab facility can be helpful if you’re trying to reach outside of just your local area.
However, before trying to work out all the details of your marketing strategy, you need to get clear on your treatment programs. The therapies and treatment programs that you offer can affect both the type of patients you attract and their recovery success rates.
Let’s take a closer look at 4 things you need to think about when it comes to treatment.
As you might imagine there are many possible roads you can take with treatment services. Fortunately, this complexity can be streamlined by thinking of treatment as belonging to one of two camps: those based on research and those based on experience.
a. Research based treatments like Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) was developed by psychologist Marsha M. Linehan in the late 1980s. Originally designed to assist those with borderline personality disorder, this form of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy proved so successful that the modality was extended to apply to a wide range of other types of mental health disorders.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is short-term and goal-oriented. It’s a practical form of psychotherapy treatment. The emphasis is realistic problem solving by changing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that create difficulties in patient’s lives.
b. Experiential therapies like equestrian therapy, art therapy, and music-therapy.
- Equestrian therapy is the use of horses to promote emotional growth. Often people who have emotional problems find it easier to befriend animals rather than people. Moreover, horses have been proven to be particularly helpful in helping withdrawn people to be less shy. By looking after horses and riding them, people experience considerable emotional healing. Incidentally, another animal that has proven remarkably helpful in bringing out the best in human beings and often used in therapies are golden retrievers.
- Art therapy is healing through self-expression. A psychotherapist encourages patients to paint, draw, or model art. These artistic expressions are then used as either an aid for diagnosis or considered a remedial activity in their own right.
- Music therapy is based on research that shows learning or listening to music improves cognitive functioning, motor skill development, and emotional stability. Furthermore, since it is often a community event, it enhances social skills. A music therapist believes that music can provide a healing experience and treatment consists of encouraging patients to sing, listen, improvise, discuss, and move to music.
Licenses, accreditation, and compliance are of the utmost importance. So you must make sure that your rehab center is operating with a valid facility license granted by your state, and that it meets service quality standards.
Staffing makes all the difference in addiction results. In order to comply with all privacy and HIPAA laws, the various regulatory bodies in charge of mental health facilities require that staff is either licensed or certified.
4. Niche Services
The field of addiction treatment is both diverse and complicated. It involves different generations, different types of substance addictions, and different methods of treatments. The most successful centers have specialized in one or two categories.
For instance, a center may specialize in helping millennials that are addicted to marijuana. Another center may specialize in baby-boomers who are suffering from alcohol abuse.
According to Forbes article on the addiction treatment industry, the $35 billion market is constantly growing. However, it appears that the lion’s share of the money does not necessarily go to the best facilities. Marketing has a lot to do with how well an addiction center does.
In some cases, there is a happy confluence between quality of service and effective marketing, but this is not always the case. In other words, there are also places that offer effective treatment but are less well known.